Episode 6 of our podcast features a discussion between artist Tom Baskeyfield and writer Josh Allen. Tom’s works on paper, depicting local stones floating on a black plane, are currently on display in our In Steps of Sundew exhibition. As you’ll hear in this discussion, stone is both emblem and starting point for much larger issues and ideas. We begin with a pebble in the hand of a rambler and travel through issues of mindfulness, theology, human vs geological time, nationalism, and home.
Tom Baskeyfield is a multidisciplinary artist exploring interests in place, ecology, matter, and spirit. He holds an MA in Art and Environment from Falmouth University. Since 2015 he has been working on Shaped by Stone with photographer Mario Popham, an Arts Council funded project looking at place through the lens of stone. He lives and works in Somerset.
Josh Allen is a writer and Fermynwoods Contemporary Art Trustee. He lives in Northamptonshire.
A transcript of this discussion is available here.
- Church Side Cobble, Tom Baskeyfield, 2015
- Arne Naess, Tom Baskeyfield, 2016
- The Boy Can Leave Bethesda, but Bethesda Will Never Leave the Boy, Tom Baskeyfield, 2017-2018
- Black Lake 1 & 11, Tom Baskeyfield, 2017-2018
- Of Time in a Field (Stone Picking), Tom Baskeyfield, 2011
- Agnes Martin quoted in Agnes Martin: Her Life and Art, Nancy Princenthal, 2015
- Grit. Sap. Seam. from Stone Words, Tom Baskeyfield, 2020
- Shaped by Stone (Working Tegg’s Nose), Tom Baskeyfield, 2016
- Baskeyfield, Tom, Stone Words, Field Stone Press, UK, 2020.
- Berry, Wendall, The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry, Counterpoint, Berkeley, 1998.
- Berry, Thomas, The Dream of the Earth, Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, 1988.
- Berry, Thomas, Evening Thoughts, Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, 2006.
- Bjornerud, Marcia, Timefulness: How Thinking Like a Geologist Can Help Save the World, Princeton University Press, 2018.
- Garner, Alan, The Stone Book, Collins, London, 1976.
- Naess, Arne, Self-Realization: An Ecological Approach to Being in the World, Thinking Like a Mountain, Seed J., Macy J., Fleming P., Naess A., New Catalyst Books, US, 2007.
- Princenthanl, Nancy, Agnes Martin: Her Life and Art, Thames and Hudson, London, 2015.
- Swimme, Brian Thomas and Tucker, Mary Evelyn, Journey of the Universe, Yale University Press, US, 2011.